Newsletter November 2013
Change and the school year!
By: Dave Najduch, WTA President
Information for all members
By: Nathan Martindale, Vice-President
- A Negotiations Proposal Form was posted on the WTA website (under the Forms section) over six weeks ago. To date, only a handful of submissions have been received. The deadline for submitting proposals for review by the Negotiations Committee is Friday, November 29th.
This is your opportunity, as a member of the Association, to play an active role in the Negotiations process. If you strongly believe that an existing problem could be solved by adding a new article to our Collective Agreement, or by amending an existing article, please print off the submission form, fill it out and fax it to the WTA Office (204-837-9698) for the Negotiations Committee to review.
- Speaking of the Collective Agreement, please take the time to become familiar with the document. It can be found on the WTA website here. Hard copies of the Collective Agreement were also distributed to all locations after it was ratified in the fall of 2011. Each location was sent three copies, one for the WTA Council Representative, one for the office and one for the administrator.
The actual document is divided into three main sections: The Collective Agreement between The Winnipeg School Division and The Winnipeg Teachers’ Association, The Code of Rules and Regulations (Appendix 1) and an excerpt of Policy GCBD of The Winnipeg School Division Policy (Appendix 2).
The WTA Office receives many questions regarding the following:
Preparation Time – page 38 of the Collective Agreement
Discretionary day – page 10 of the Code of Rules
Leaves of absence – page 7 of the Excerpt of Policy GCBD
2013/2014 WTA Pre-Retirement Seminars
If you are 48 years of age or older and a WTA member, you can register for one of the two WTA Pre-retirement Seminars offered for the 2013/2014 school year.
The dates for the seminars are:
- January 21st, 2014 – 4:30 PM, McMaster House Arnett Auditorium
- March 24th, 2014 – 4:30 PM, McMaster House Arnett Auditorium
Please e-mail Glenda Shepherd at email@example.com for your TRAF authorization number and process for registration.
Manulife Claim Forms etc.
Please be advised that if you require ManuLife claim forms they are available from:
- for active and retired teachers – you can access a claim form from the Manulife web site www.manulife.ca
- for active teachers – your school office and/or the Division (204-775-0231)
- for retired teachers – the WTA office, 202-2639 Portage Ave., R3J 0P7 (204-831-7104)
- Manulife will send a claim form with their reimbursement
ManuLife requires you to put your address on ALL claim forms. If you have a change of address, please highlight it with an asterisk to draw attention to
your new address.
- for active teachers – inform Sue Lee, WSD Benefits Department (204-775-0231)
- for retired teachers – inform Teachers’ Retirement Allowance Fund (204-949-0048)
Change in status i.e. single to family and vice versa: (Note: once you are enrolled in FAMILY coverage all dependents are automatically added to your history with ManuLife and adjudicated accordingly.)
- for active teachers – inform Sue Lee c/o WSD Benefits Department
- for retired teachers – you may not change your status, except in the event of the death of a spouse.
Please be advised that individuals who go on (or are currently on) Maternity/Parental Leave are now covered for the length of the leave 54 weeks.
WTA members are reminded that dental claims are to be sent to the dental plan carrier – Great-West Life Assurance, NOT Manulife Financial. Manulife is the
Extended Health Plan carrier ONLY.
The following electoral units were absent from the October 2013 WTA Council meeting:
APC, COTE, David Livingstone, DLC, Dufferin, George V, Grant Park, Isaac Brock, J.B. Mitchell, Lansdowne, Montcalm, Norquay, Pinkham, Prairie Rose, Robert H. Smith, Sargent Park, William Whyte and WAEC – 700 Elgin Ave.
The views expressed in all articles in this Newsletter are not necessarily those of the Association.
Manulife Extended Health Plan Amendments
- Increase coverage for Physiotherapy/Occupational Therapy/Athletic Therapy combined to $850/person/calendar year; and,
- Increase coverage for Hearing Aids to $2,000.00/every five calendar years.