Newsletter June 2012

Provincial Report Cards

By: Dave Najduch, President


Change can be good!

By: Nathan Martindale, Vice-President

When I was younger, as my friends and family can attest, I was not a person who enjoyed change.  I wanted things to stay the same, I wanted life to be comfortable and predictable.  For the first thirty or so years of my life, this need for stability and sameness was not just a desire, but my reality!  While my sister galavanted around the world (she has lived and/or worked in 38 different countries!), I enjoyed life here in Winnipeg, generally the same routine day to day, year to year.



By: Terry willerton

General Information


The Winnipeg Teachers’ Association
Retirement Reception is being held on
Tuesday, June 13th, 2012
at the Shaarey Zedek Synagogue
Doors Open at 6:30 PM


WTA Fees/MTS Fees



The following are the dates for the
2012/2013 Council Meetings:

September 20th, 2012 Note:  Council Dinner – 4:45 PM
October 16th, 2012 Note:  Mini-PD
November 12th, 2012
December 5th, 2012
January 23rd, 2013
February 21st, 2013 Note:  Mini-PD
March 11th, 2013 Note:   Election Forum
April 22nd, 2013 Note:   Mini-PD
May 14th, 2013 Note: WTA  AGM
June 10th, 2013 Note: WTA  DSA  Reception
WTA Retirement Reception TBD


Electoral Units not represented at the May Council Meeting:


Religious Holy Leaves for Members of
the Manitoba Teachers’ Society
(excerpt from the WTA Collective Agreement)

\ No deduction from salary shall be made when teachers are absent for observance of religious holy days, up to a maximum of three (3) days per school year.

When teachers are absent for observance of religious holy days in excess of three (3) days per school year a teacher may receive regular salary less the rate for a substitute in the teacher’s salary classification

 The following notification period will apply:
(i) for teachers requiring religious holy leaves prior to October 15th, ten (10) working days notice in writing shall be given to the Division, for teachers requiring religious holy days October 15th or later, notice in writing of leave required for that school year shall be given by September 30th.
(ii) for those teachers commencing employment with the Division at a time other than the start of the school year and who require religious holy leave, notice in writing, shall be given to the Division within ten (10) working days of active employment.

Where the appropriate notice has not been given to the Division, the Division shall provide religious holy days and that leave, at the Division’s discretion, may be with pay or at regular salary less than the rate for a substitute in the teacher’s salary classification, or with one two-hundredths (1/200) salary deduction per day.  The Division shall act reasonably and fairly having regard to all circumstances.

Religious Holy Leave shall be extended to include individuals in the Adult EAL Program. It is agreed for the purposes of this Article, Religious Holy Days shall be defined as “major religious holy days observed by the teacher and designated as a day of obligation by the teacher’s religion.”

19.10 In the event that an employee is requesting a short term leave of absence which is not otherwise set forth in this Agreement, the Division may grant such leave with or without pay in accordance with its policy, a copy of which is attached hereto as Appendix “A” to this Agreement.  This clause is only for the information of the Association membership and an employee should see the Division policy manual for details.”


The Winnipeg Teachers’ Association
2012/2013 Telephone List

  • Keystone Counselling Associates
  • Henry Shyka, WTA Business Agent, MTS Staff Officer
  • Nancy Kerr, MTS Staff Officer
  • Substitute Request Line……………………………………………………………772-0691
  • Substitute Help Line………………………………………………………………..789-0475*
    *between the hours of 6:45 AM and 2:45 PM
  • Information Service Centre……………………………………………….1-800-268-6195
  • Web Site


Manulife Information

Confirmation of over-age dependents:


Active Members…Going On a trip this summer vacation?

It’s almost summer vacation and you have been looking forward to travelling.  Make sure that you take your ManuAssist card with you.  That card is the only document that identifies you as a member of the plan.


(Please note, your dental coverage is provided by Great-West Life Assurance (GWL) therefore a GWL dental claim form would be needed for your dental claim to be reimbursed.)

Have a safe and happy vacation!

President’s Report 2011/2012

By: dave Najduch, President