WSD 2015/16 Final Budget
On Wednesday, March 11, 2015 The Board of Trustees approved the 2015/16 Final Budget, including a property tax increase of 3.2%.
The following information is also found on the WSD website.
New Expenditures for 2015-16
Full-day Kindergarten Pilot Program $475,000: The WSD Board of Trustees has allocated regular budget funding for the continuation and expansion of the Full-day Kindergarten Pilot Program for the 2015/16 school year. The Board has approved funding for full day kindergarten at five additional schools, locations to be determined, for a total of nine schools.
Sistema $176,800: Sistema is a music partnership between the Winnipeg Symphony Orchestra and Winnipeg School Division. The program will expand to junior high school and eventually high school. The WSD Board of Trustees has approved one teaching position for the elementary program (Inner City district) and one teaching position for the junior high program (North district).
Autism Spectrum Disorder Junior High Program $237,600: The WSD Board of Trustees has approved additional supports in a specialized low enrolment setting for students with a diagnosis of autism. For the eight students identified, this requires one teacher, two educational assistants and .17 clinician support, as well as facility modifications.
Fetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorder (FASD) High School Program $237,600: Students who are currently enrolled in the new Grade 7/8 FASD program at St. Johnís High School will benefit from the Boardís approval for transition to a Grade 9/10 program. For the eight students enrolled, this requires one teacher, two educational assistants and .17 clinician support, as well as facility modifications.
Anxiety Program $166,800: Due to the increase in the number of students displaying mental health concerns, specifically anxiety, as evidenced by the number of referrals for tutoring supported by medical documentation, the WSD Board of Trustees has approved establishment of an anxiety program at the Junior/Senior High level. The program will include a teacher, an educational assistant, 0.5 clinician support and supplies.
Four Youth Transition teachers $353,300: Youth transition teachers support children coming out of the youth justice system to transition successfully back into school. These positions will support St. Johnís, R.B. Russell, Gordon Bell and Daniel MacIntyre High Schools.
French Immersion Recruitment $250,000: The WSD Board of Trustees has approved a French Immersion Recruitment program to hire an additional ten permanent French Immersion Teachers to fill daily and temporary assignments/vacancies. The net cost is $250,000 when current substitute and term costs are taken into consideration.
- STEAM Enrichment Centre supplies and transportation $25,000
- The Enrichment and Innovation (E&I) program instructor professional development training $40,000
- Universal playground access building fund $100,000
- Education Assistants for EBD students $175,900
- Aboriginal Elder position $83,000
- Parent / Community Liaison position $83,000
- International Baccalaureate (IB) Expansion Ė Three-year planning initiative $13,300
- Information Systems position $73,900
- Program and Policy Analyst $83,000
Expenditures from reserve:
Phase II WI-FI initiative $2.4 million: The initial phase of a plan to provide enhanced Wi-Fi in high schools was approved ($1.2M) from surplus as part of the 2014/2015 budget development process. Phase II, approved in the 2015/2016 budget, will provide enhanced wireless internet at all elementary and junior high schools during the next school year.
Dreambox licensing $173,000: The Board approved continuation of supports to students in mathematics using Dreambox, an Interactive responsive web-based program implemented in addition to regularly scheduled mathematics classes.
- Web management software upgrade $139,600
- School board meeting software $50,000
- Data storage upgrade $220,000
- Live-streaming video technology $150,000
- Network management software (firewall) replacement $265,000
- Washroom renovations $500,000
Memo from Human Resources March 12, 2015
Eric Barnaby, WSD Director of Human Resources, sent a memo to all employees confirming a major piece of the budget Ė the reduction of one Superintendent commencing in the 2015/16 Budget (which translates to July 1st, 2015 the start of the Divisionís fiscal year). This represents a major change for the organizational structure of the WSD. At this time, the WTA does not have any further information on this decision.
WTA Executive Election
I would like to thank Winston Blakey for admirably chairing the Executive Nominations and Elections Committee. It is evident by the number of candidates who are running for Executive Members at Large positions, that heís doing a great job. Also, a sincere thank you to those individuals who let their names stand for the 2015/16 WTA Executive. It is exciting to have a contested election this year because it indicates an increased level of engagement by our members.
WSD 2015/16 Calendar
The WSD sent out a memo on February 24, 2015 outlining the school calendar for the 2015/2016 school year. The following dates were highlighted:
- School Opening: Tuesday, September 8, 2015 (Administrative Day)
- Winter Break: Monday, December 21, 2015 Ė Friday, January 1, 2016
- Semester 1 Ends: Friday, February 5, 2016
- Semester 2 Begins: Monday, February 8, 2016
- Spring Break: Monday, March 28, 2016 Ė Friday, April 1, 2016
- Last Teaching Day: Thursday, June 30, 2016
As well, the following statutory holidays must be accommodated during the school year:
- Thanksgiving Day: Monday, October 12, 2015
- Remembrance Day: Wednesday, November 11, 2015
- Louis Riel Day: Monday, February 15, 2016
- Good Friday: Friday, March 25, 2016
- Victoria Day: Monday, May 23, 2016
Have an enjoyable and relaxing Spring Break!